Maui Onion and Mushroom Gravy
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup Maui onion, small, diced
- 8 oz mushroom, sliced
- 1 tbsp butter, unsalted thyme, fresh*To taste: black pepper, fresh ground
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp brandy or sherry
- 2 cups beef broth, reduced-sodium
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 leaves sage, fresh
- 1 to 2 sprigs thyme, fresh
- to taste, black pepper, fresh ground
- Cook onions in vegetable oil on medium heat until golden brown, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking.
- When onions are deep brown and mushrooms light brown, stir in butter.
- When butter is melted, add flour, stirring well to coat.
- Add brandy while stirring.
- Add broth and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce to a simmer.
- Add sage and thyme, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add a generous grinding of pepper.
- Remove herbs before serving.
This gravy is a delicious topping for Loco Moco Fried Rice (see recipe).