Hot Garlic Eggplant
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground pork (lean)
- 2 lbs Japanese eggplant, cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- In a small bowl combine water, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and chili flakes. Set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in a wok or saute pan. Add ginger and garlic, saute for 30 seconds. Add ground pork and cook for three minutes until cooked through.
- Add reserved sauce and simmer for two minutes. Add eggplant and sesame oil and simmer till eggplant is cooked through.
Canola oil may substitute for peanut oil. For a lower fat version, use a non-stick pan and ⅓ the amount of oil to sauté ginger/garlic (2 tsp).