Teriyaki Eggplant Bowl
- 2 lbs Chinese eggplant about 8 medium sized eggplant
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup Teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ½ cup cold water
Other optional toppings:
- sesame seeds, green onion, red pepper flakes, sesame oil (drizzle on at the end of cooking)
- ½ cup shoyu low sodium
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 cloves garlic smashed or minced
- 1 thin slice ginger
- Wash hands with soap and water. Gently rub tomato under cold running water before cutting.
- Cut eggplant into 1″ cubes. Place the cubed eggplant onto a plate and sprinkle with the salt, tossing to make sure all cubes have some salt on it. This will remove extra water from the eggplant and also help remove any bitterness. Let eggplant sit for about 30 – 45 minutes then rinse well with water to remove salt. Pat eggplant dry with paper towel.
- Prepare the teriyaki sauce by mixing all ingredients well until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat. Add diced onions and cook for about 3 – 4 minutes, until begins to soften and becomes lightly browned. Add minced garlic and eggplant. You may want to add 2 -3 tbsp of water to the pan to prevent sticking. Cover with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey to the pan, cover with lid and cook until no longer pink, 4 – 5 minutes. Use a thermometer to double check that meat has reached a safe temperature of at least 165 °F. Add the teriyaki sauce and mix with the ingredients.
- To create a more saucy dish, mix the cornstarch and cold water, then add to the pan. Stir and cook for another 1 – 2 minutes.
- Top it off with any of the optional add-ins. Serve this on rice, quinoa or noodles with a side of vegetables.
Ready in: 1 hour Servings: 7 servings Eggplant Ingredient Swaps:
- Instead of olive oil you can use canola, peanut, or vegetable oil
- Instead of ground turkey you can use another lean ground meat
- Instead of meat you can use crumbled tofu or chopped mushrooms
- Instead of teriyaki sauce you can use another sauce that you use for stir-fries
- Instead of eggplant you can use zucchini