Guisadong Sayote (Sautéed Chayote Squash)
- 2 chayote squash (approximately 4 cups), peeled
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves 2 cloves garlic, minced to approximately 2 tsp
- 1 medium onion, sliced to approximately 2 cups
- 2 medium tomatoes, wedged to approximately 1⅓ cups
- ½ lb shrimp, shelled
- 1 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Cut chayote in quarters, taking out seed core. Slice quartered pieces diagonally into 1/4 inch thick slices. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic in oil until lightly browned.
- Add onion and stir for one minute. Add tomatoes and cook until soft, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add chayote slices, patis, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes or until shrimp is cooked and chayote is soft.