Fruit Wa'a (Canoes)
- ¾ cup Pineapple, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 ½ cup Papaya, de-seeded, sliced
- ¾ cup Apple banana, peeled, sliced
- Wash all of your fruits and get ready for some fun making these double-hull fruit waʻa (canoes)! You can use all of these fruits in a number of ways just be aware of your serving sizes when slicing and serving.
- If using pineapple, cut the top and bottom off then cut and remove the skin.
- Slice the pineapple or papaya lengthwise into canoe-like shapes to make the hull of the canoe. Remove the core and the seeds.
- Place two “hulls” side by side. To connect them, create cross beams with bananas.
- First peel then slice the banana in half & attach to the pineapple or papaya with toothpicks. See picture.
- To create the sails, slice grapefruit in rounds then slice those rounds in half and attach upright to pineapple or papaya with toothpicks.
- If you are making these waʻa with keiki please supervise and assist them with toothpicks.
*Enjoy sailing your waʻa before snacking!