Apple Banana Bread
- 1½ cup flour, whole wheat pastry
- ¼ cup wheat germ, toasted
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 egg or equivalent egg replacer
- 1 tsp ginger, ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup banana, mashed-ripe, apple or Williams
- ⅔ cup rice milk, Rice Dream original
- 2 tbsp oil, macadamia nut
- 2" piece piece ginger, fresh, pressed to extract juice
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp honey, Lehua
- 1 tbsp ginger, crystallized, chopped fine
- 1-2 tbsp raisins, golden (optional)
- Combine the dry ingredients together and mix well.
- Blend together the banana, milk, oil, molasses and honey.
- Add to the dry ingredients with the crystallized ginger and raisins.
- Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened, then pour batter into an oiled 9 inch pie plate or 8x8 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes
- Press peeled ginger through a garlic press to extract juice; strain through a fine mesh strainer.
A wholesome breakfast bread, light on excess sweeteners and unhealthy oils and egg-free, this can be baked ahead of time, sliced and stored in the freezer for enjoyment at a later date. You can also make into muffins (bake at 350° about 17 minutes - check with a toothpick). Great for taking to work or to carry as a snack. Whole wheat pastry flour, wheat germ and dry egg replacer are standard items at local health food stores. Don't hesitate to venture in and browse around. If you cannot find it on the shelves, ask a store employee for help.